Book of the week....

Thursday, June 26

When I was 10 I fell in love with Chris Van Allsburg. You may have heard of him through such blockbuster hits as Jumani and Zathura. However, it was a combination of his writing style and illustrations that struck me. His stories are strange and are filled with ambiguity allowing the reader to fill in the blanks. My favorite book, which is a perfect example of this, is "The Mysteries of Harris Burdick". It is my book of the week and I encourage you to check it out the next time you visit your library. To the right is an excerpt from the book. The caption reads ""Mr. Linden's Library - He had warned her about the book. Now it was too late."

The book is filled with random scenes with cryptic captions. Love it!

2 comments:

Dawn Elizableth said...

thank you for the book idea! I'm always looking for something new.

Unknown said...

YES!!!! ANOTHER CHRIS V.A. FAN!!! I'm not alone in the world. I always try to showcase his works in every class that I teach or whenever I have an opportunity to talk to teachers. I love, love, love his works. Two other of my favoirtes are "The Stranger" and "The Wreck of the Zephyr"...well...there's also the Garden of Abdul Gasazi....