My first chicken

Wednesday, September 2


This is the story of my first chicken. I've always been intimidated by whole birds. When we host Thanksgiving I have my mom come over and cook the turkey. But after watching Ina Garten I thought it was time to take the bull by the horns (or should I say the chicken by the legs) and just do it already. I thought a very small chicken would be the perfect size for our family and the perfect size to experiment with. So I read a few chicken tutorials on cooks.com and watched a few videos on youtube. And in the end, we all gathered around the table and ate this....

I was really beyond pleased with the finished bird. I cooked it for a whole 2 hours! Buttered, brinned and basted. Brian said it was tender while crispy on the outside and I believe his compliments because he'll tell me if I cook something gross.

And no, I didn't leave in the gizzards:)

2 comments:

Debra said...

my mom was always gonna help me with my first turkey......she passed months before but I knew I had to do it anyway. It was important to keep family holidays going even without her. I was scared to do that first turkey......oh my. It was great.

So congratulations! Great job!

Deece said...

Good job! I haven't cooked a whole bird yet. Now that my sister and I have taken over Thanksgiving cooking, she makes the turkey and I make the ham.