Dear busty bust, please behave.

Saturday, March 29

I have the strangest body. Well, perhaps the -est is a bit of an exaggeration but definitely strange. I am 5'2 and wear a size 2. Not strange you say, but wait. I also wear a 36.......D. Weird. Nothing I buy fits correctly. Bathing suits, forget it! If it fits below don't hold your breath on top. On second thought, I'll hold my breath, it might help.
Impatiently, I've bought a couple uber-cute spring camisoles only to find myself pulling at the tops every 5 seconds in fear of my nipples making a surprise appearance. To this end, I've decided to attempt to sew a couple camisoles with inspiration from my current favorite store- Anthropologie thus allowing me to customize the bust....for my very BUSTY bust. I bought this fabric from reprodepot:












And matched it with a dark brown taffeta fabric.

This was my Anthropologie inspiration:





















This was the pattern (New Look #6672) I improvised and worked off of. As you can see I shortened the dress into a blouse length, rouched the midriff, twisted the straps, added a trim, *enhanced* the bust line and voila (see below)













This is the result:



















Obviously, I had to heighten the bust line. I'd prefer a lower line. I think it looks more feminine but unless I want to be rutching at my neckline all night I have to make compromises. Whatcha think? Close enough? If I had to do it over I'd widen the midriff, use a lighter-weight fabric, and somehow (although I don't know how) feminize the bust. It looks a little too boxy for my taste. Ah what I would give for a ballerina neckline.

Now I have to get back in the house...it's 40 degrees and windy! Burrrrrrr.

4 comments:

Personal Buyer said...

I wish i had bigger boobs, darling!
ur great! hrehehehe

btw you have great links down here, i love your blogs

Unknown said...

I have the exact same problem! I am 5'2" a size 2, weigh all of 100 lbs (my 16 month old weighs 31 lbs, he's half my size!) and my bust are a 36D PLUS milk from breast feeding! I feel your pain...back pain that is.
I love that you're making your own cami!
They're great! I love your blogs!

SHW said...

I just found this, I think the cami worked out great. I like yours better than the anthropologie version. I think yours is more realistic for someone to actually wear and the camis with the super thin straps really only seem to work well on smaller women.

A Simple Thing said...

I'm more than a little late on this post - but your dilemma is quite similar to mine! Which is kinda why I've decided to take up making my own clothes, and I've been drooling over the gorgeous ones on your Grosgrain blog...but I'm a complete beginner! Can I be cheeky and ask if you know of any good tutorials for absolute beginners?