Must reads. Must sees.

Sunday, March 16

At any rate, my post for today isn't about my blog but rather a subject I've been following for about.... two years now. That is Peter Jackson's version of one of my favorite novels "The Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold. The date had been pushed back to 2007, then 2008 and as you might have guessed now 2009. By the time the movie comes out I will be as clueless as everyone else in the audience because I will have forgotten the ending. But for those of you who have not had the pleasure, I definitely recommend the read. It goes by so fast! The plot (A young girl who was brutally raped and murdered, watches the effects of her death on her family from Heaven, as her parents drift apart, her father becomes obsessed with vengeance and her sister grows into the woman she would never be) may sound a bit macabre but intriguing none-the-less. I'm also very interested in how Peter Jackson will cinematize this novel. An actress from my current favorite movie "Atonement" will be playing the lead- Suzie. Thank god Hollywood did not break down and default Dakota Fanning in this role as I feared they might. I really liked Saorise Ronan's performance in Atonement and think she would make a *perfect* Suzie.


Another one of my favorite novels "The Time Travelers Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger is coming out soon on the big screen this year! If "The Lovely Bones" just isn't "your thing," The Time Travelers Wife could be.
In other words, do you love "The Notebook"?
Okay, then you'll love "The Time Travelers Wife."
It's a romantic novel about a Chicago librarian with a gene that causes him to involuntarily time travel, and the complications it creates for his marriage.
The film is directed by Robert Schwentke of Flightplan (blah) and will star Rachel McAdams and Eric Bana (double blah) who I think is totally wrong for the part! The Henry character needs to be someone with the ability to convey panic, desperation not "bana"usic perfunctoriness (look that one up Webster!). My choice would have been, James McAvoy. If you have seen "The Last King of Scotland" you know what I mean. Despite those facts, I am still uber-excited about seeing this movie! But I'd definitely recommend reading this novel before seeing the movie. It's rather lengthy but after such a detailed account of Henry and Claire's history the ending was that much more heart-breaking, enough so to make me weep. I kid you not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how I found you, but I'm glad I did. I took a peek around and very nice! I'm going to have to check those books out. I like your knitted hats too. I may have to try it. By the time I figure it out, it will be winter again :)