Army of the Stars!

Sunday, May 10


Last Night Brian and I went to the theater and can you guess what happened? Well, if you've read my profile you know we went to see "Star Trek". And as the title came up on the screen I thought about how funny the name was.....star....trek....a trek to see the stars. It's not punchy, it's not intimidating, it's plesant and whimsical. I imagine if the franchise was created today it would be called something like STAR ARMY!

Thank god for 60s camp!

What people who didn't see the film don't know is that the writers have solved the fatal flaws of the story device known as "the prequel". That being: you know exactly what is going to happen and who is going to live and die. Their new concept coyly sets up an entire new franchise of young, attractive Star Trek movies.

How?

Why, they created an alternate reality of course! One in which all of planet Vulcan and its 9 billion inhabitants are engulfed by a black hole and OH YEAH, Kirk's father has died at the moment of his birth creating a more rebellious, at times misguided, Kirk.

I like it. I like the new faces. (top photo, left to right: Chekov, Kirk, Scotty, Bones, Sulu, Uhura. Not pictured, Spock, who was also great!) I thought the Bones character was a little over the top. But I guess that was the point, right? There was definitely a 'Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a ......" moment in there somewhere.

Overall, I really liked it. So much in fact that I forgot my cell phone in all my excitement and had to drive back in the middle of the night to retrieve it. Granted, it doesn't take much to divert my attention from what's happening around me but it's certainly not a bad sign!

A+

3 comments:

Ginny said...

I really liked it a lot as well. I don't think they could have done it much better!

DiPaola Momma said...

I wanted to hate it. Being an old school, hard core, reading the books, all the flicks on DVD, going to the ocasional convention (sans costume, after all I DO have a life!) that I am. But I just couldn't. I loved it! It was my mother's day gift. Best gift ever (ala Comic Book Guy) well save for the kids.. he he

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

I absolutely love the show. Tons. Did I say absolutely? And I agree that was the way a prequel should be done!