Wednesday Thrift Store Find

Wednesday, August 19


I think I've mentioned how much I LOVE thrift store shopping. Here's my recent morning find. Brian's parents have a wooden marble chute from when they were kids. Lily and Molly love to play with it when we go to visit. So I wanted to get one for our house too. Living so close to Lancaster County you can find many for about $40 - $50. I had hoped to get one for Christmas or their birthday. Then today, I saw this at the Salvation Army. For....$1.99! No lie. I immediately put it in my cart and congratulated myself on another fine find!

Not too long ago I found this (below) toy at the Salvation Army for $1.99 as well! I don't know how much they go for brand new but it's heavy so I imagine A LOT! This toy is used almost everyday at our home. DEFINITELY worth the 2 bucks!

3 comments:

Nuts To You! said...

Can I ask what time you go? I went today to the SalVal on Manheim Pike in Lanc and it was awful. I had some things picked out, but much to my dismay, the line was through the aisle all the way to the back of the store. I was disappointed to not get my finds, but I wasn't going to stand in that line...especially as there were no carts left! Are there other stores around? I like that one better than any of the Goodwills! They just seem to get better stuff:)

Grosgrain said...

I know EXACTLY what you're describing. But I can tell you how to avoid it. I go to the Camp Hill location on Wednesdays, of course, cause it's half off.

The line can get pretty ridiculous there as well! BUT, I go exactly at nine am. There are plenty of carts then and I don't have to wait in line. I would say the line starts to form around 9:30-9:45. I've never had a problem when I got there at 9.

I have to admit, I don't 'always' have great finds. But I go every week and not just to that store but also to a couple Goodwills which sell a lot of clothes and housewares that Target doesn't sell. If you get a Goodwill 'shop n save' card (for about $5) you can get the money you spent for the card back in one purchase and it lasts for one year.

I'd say that I get about 3 really great things a week on average. But I look for a lot of different things when I go so there's more for me to choose from.

Right now, I shop for maternity clothes, back to school clothes, Christmas gifts (from Goodwill cause somethings are new in the box from Target), possible refashions, shoes, kids gear and furniture.

If you're only going for one thing in particular I can see how you might be disappointed.

Gosh, I could go on forever about thrift shopping tips. But I'll stop there.

Hope that helps:)

Anonymous said...

Also the Lebanon County store along route 422...its a very huge store and they have some great finds too....