Ooo La La

Friday, December 5

I don't know what it is lately, but I've had a hankering for a rotary phone. I love their color, their feel, the clunky sound they make when you hang them up, the tangible noise they make when they ring. I want one in every color and I want to take a million pictures of them and have one to match every room of my house.

Watching Life on Mars has made me homesick for my own rotary phone of my childhood. It was yellow and hung on the wall. It was made of bakelite thermoplastic and had some weight to it. We had it from the day I was born to my senior year in high school.

So, I guess I'm just feeling a little nostalgic for a simpler time. A time when you had to stay within a 3 foot radius to talk to someone. A time when you couldn't be reached if you weren't at home and the only channels to choose from were ABC, CBS and PBS. (remember how NBC never came in very well on rabbit ears). Then I remember iced cafe lattes, HD picture and the whole internet 'thing' and I realize that I could never go back. But still....they really look really yummy don't they?

4 comments:

Morgan Moore said...

We have a rotary phone on our dresser- I just love a good rotary phone!

kate said...

Oooh, that chartreuse phone is great!

What a cool thing to collect; one day your kid(s) will be AMAZED at how bulky and primitive the phones were in the "old days"! And we were just excited when the really loooooong phone cords came out so that we could get 9 feet away from the phone instead of just 3. :)

Cheilita said...

yes they do. i think i want one too except that the dialing takes too long...but i suppose that's part of the fun? also your the party frock rocks.

Anja said...

We still have one at home. Green one. It makes great noise when it rings. Hard to miss a call...
And my granny has orange one...
They are fun and we just can't throw it away. Well, why should we. It's working.